I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Gompie
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to David Banner, Jun 30, 2013

Hi,

I used a D300 for about four years. Had a couple of Nikon lenses and was very happy with it.
Last year while travelling I got fed up with it. The weight, the size, the bulk of the lenses.
I decided to buy the Olympus OMD with some lenses. Took them on my latest vacation and will not look at my D300 again. Even thinking of selling the stuff. The only thing I'm not happy with is the batterylife. Bought three of them. They won't last half or a third of the shots of which the D300 is capable of. I manage around 250-300 shots per battery on average.
The Nikon is smaller than the Olympus, but in the end it all comes down to is how it handles, how it feels in your hand and what it can deliver.
My guess is that the m4/3 system has an advantage over the Nikon system. The lens line-up is much bigger and I believe and read that the m4/3 sensor is more capable. You can even buy an adapter that can handle your Nikon lenses. (Haven't used one so far, so can't help you with that.)

Good luck with you choice

Ruud

Gompie's gear list:Gompie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow