Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,209
Like?
Re: Here's how to do it for about $3200...
In reply to BigBen08, Jun 30, 2013

I have used Olympus DSLR gear for over 5 years.  Olympus had a great thing in its day.  But they have fallen way behind with their DSLR equipment.  About a year and a half ago, I bought two (2) 18mp Canon bodies and two (2) Canon lenses for well less than the price of one (1) 12mp Olympus E-5 body (even at today's price).  I'll be looking at the Canon 400mm F5.6 L lens which will give me 640mm EFL with a 18mp sensor.

I got beautiful airshow pictures with my 10mp Olympus E-510 and Zuiko 70-300mm lens that gave me a 600mm EFL reach.  But I'm impressed how much better equipment I have with what I purchased from Canon.  When I purchase the Canon 400mm F5.6 L lens, that will give me a total of three lenses.  My total cost (for everything) then will be at about $2400 (USD).  Add a 1.4x teleconverter for about $350 (or less used from Ebay) now we are at $2750.  Then the reach is at 896mm EFL with again 18 megapixels (which I doubt I'll need at an airshow; 640mm EFL is plenty good enough most of the time).  In cloudy weather (which we often have in our area) with my Canon equipment I also have the advantage to boost the ISO levels up much higher so that I can have the depth of field and shutter speed that I want at long focal lengths.

Here's some of my most recent airshow photos that I captured with my Canon equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow