major reasons for making panny better in video than oly

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,070Gear list
Like?
Re: I find Panasonic suffer from less JELLO effect.
In reply to Dr_Jon, Jun 30, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

My GH3 certainly has a 29 minute 59 second video recording limit, in common with nearly all Video-capable DSLRs/DSLMs sold in Europe. (BTW I really quite like DSLM as a descriptive term for Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, which the M stands for, makes them seem to be more like DSLRs which some are.)

I wouldn't be surprised to find all the PAL versions have this limit. Also if they are doing it on the GH3 I'm sure their whole range has this limit.

That's due to the European laws that classify anything that can shoot 1/2 hour of high definition video as a video camera, rather than a still camera.  Video cameras are subject to a higher import tax (I think it is 4-6%), and so camera companies tend to limit cameras that are not primarily video cameras to 29 minutes, 59 seconds, so they are not subject to the tax.

Some companies only limit camera models that are sold in Europe with a nearly identical model sold elsewhere, while other camera companies only have a single world wide model.  For point & shoot cameras, Panasonic tended to be in the first category, and Olympus in the second.

I tend to be of the opinion that Panasonic historically was a video camera company, and understands video and videographers needs.  On the other hand, Olympus comes to the table primarily as a maker of still cameras and understands better the needs of still photographers, particularly those of us that shoot with flash.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow