One thing I miss about my DSLR

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,034Gear list
Like?
Re: I missed the "Care-Free Reckless Abandon" shooting style with 95% accuracy
In reply to 007peter, Jun 30, 2013

007peter wrote:

I have been shooting with Canon DSLR for 8 years before I switch to M43 then to NEX last year. What I missed he most was my "Care-Free Reckless Abandon" shooting style with a canon DSLR. When I setup my canon in AI Tracking Servo with all 9 AF points in continuous shooting, I get nearly 90 ~ 95% accuracy. It is as simple as point n' shoot, I simply point at my subject, then spray like a machine gun in short burst. But this shooting style doesn't work well with NEX. I have to be much more careful, more methodical, more double-checking reviews to ensure a decent keeper rate.

The much-derided "spray and pray" style.  

I find NEX 7fps burst mode to be a double-edge sword:

• NEX focus & exposure are locked at the 1st frame of a burst under burst mode
  • [+] if the 1st frame is in focus, I can shoot in rapid succession that few canon dslr can match
  • [-] but if subject move out of focus in the 1st frame, then I'm screw with rapid succession of out-of-focus images.

In time, Sony will perfect its NEX hybraid/PDAF to the level of its Sony SLT, but today, shooting action is still much easier done with a DSLR or SLT.

According to the manual, the PDAF will allow focusing to continue even in speed burst mode. (On the Nex-6 or 5r.)  10fps with continuous focusing... anyone try it?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow