How satisfied are you with your E-M5?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Questions thread
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204
Like?
Re: How satisfied are you with your E-M5?
In reply to apennh, Jun 30, 2013

You're asking on an m43 forum and should consider the possible biases we hold. Overall, I really like the EM5 and I'm not sure you'd find the IQ lagging much or at all behind a D700 or 6D. Depth of field at equivalent fields of view and apertures are intrinsically different across the different sized sensors. This can be both a plus or a minus, depending on what you are shooting. IBIS combined with fast primes makes for a pretty potent low light camera; I've gotten hand held shots in low light with the Pannasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 that I just had no real right to get. Some folks find the ergonomics clumsy because of the small button sizes and somewhat cramped layout; of course this is a trade off that comes with smaller size and weight. I have a small waist pack and can put the camera with lens and two (depends on which lenses) in it as an easy walk around pack. I can actually take 4 lenses if I use the side pouches but that kind of defeats the purpose of travelling with a light kit. I can throw the camera and an extra lens into a day pack for hiking and hardly know I have a camera. SAF is fast and there are no issues with front or back focus. OTOH, CAF-tracking is a weak point and if that's something you use a lot for shooting fast moving subjects the EM5 will disappoint. One of my niggles is that you can't permanently set a smaller focus area and you loose the ability to view the histogram or blinkies when using a smaller focus area; this seems fixed on the E-P5 and Olympus could fix this in firmware. The menus are not very transparent so if you buy one my advice is to get some practice time before going on your trip. And if you 1) don't need weather sealing and/or 2) don't need to use flash and the EVF concurrently, I'd really take a look at the newer E-P5 with V4 EVF as a travel kit. While not perfect I think the EM5 is a great travel companion and overall a really excellent camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow