Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
The importance of more megapixels
Jun 30, 2013

I still haven't broken a thousand images with my new 5D mkII and am generally pleased with it compared with my 5D mkII. I say generally because I am still envious of the D800 shooters that can capture 36mp with more DR than Canons latest FF models.

My first case in point is a picture I took last weekend which I thought I would print an A1 (24x36") from. While editing the image I decided that I preferred a portrait crop instead of the original landscape. Now with 20-22mp I have had good results printing A1 before. However now that I have simply cropped from landscape to portrait I lost over half those pixels (8.8mp). Now I would only feel comfortable printing A2 (12x18"). If I had had at least 36mp to begin with the resulting crop would still be a reasonable 16-17mp. There is still a possibility a 24x36" would still be sharp.

I'm pretty sure the L glass I've invested in is fully capable of nearly twice the resolution since using them on crop 18mp sensors shows no limitation. So I will not relent in lusting after more megapixels until I see it become more noise ridden or reaches the optical limitation of Canons L lenses.

uncropped original

portrait crop

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow