I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307
I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
Jun 30, 2013

Hi, I have a Nikon D300 and several lenses but they're used mostly for portraits around the house and special events like pony competitions, dance show, etc.  For travel, vacation, and walking around I find them too big/heavy to take with me.  So I've been making do with a cheap Canon compact and my old LX3 (I love the B&W of the LX3).

I'm debating about buying a more capable yet smaller and lighter system.  If I sell my Nikon 18-200 I can pay for part of the new system.

I'd like to get a camera such as the GX1 and a 50mm equivalent prime such as the 20mm f1.7 and a super zoom like the 14-140.  I think these two lenses would cover my travel needs and allow me to travel light.

I'm not familiar with 4/3 models but here is what I see:

Panasonic GX1 - I definitely want a very small camera, I don't need a viewfinder

Panasonic 20 1.7 - This is $400.  Why so expensive?  Any better alternatives?

Panasonic 14-140 - Walkaround zoom is $680.

All together this adds up to be about $1200.  I'm comparing this with something similar from the Nikon 1 system which is a lot cheaper.  for the same price I can have a 10-30 kit lens and the FT1 adapter which would allow me to use my Nikon cameras.  I don't know if this is possible with 4/3.  So I'm leaning a bit towards the Nikon 1 but I'm still researching it and I'd love to get some feedback from the 4/3 crowd.

Thanks!

Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow