How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?
In reply to Greg Eddinger, 10 months ago

Greg Eddinger wrote:

Objective is to upgrade to decrease processing time using, Lightroom, Photoshop, Photomatix and possibly light video editing.

My old 15" MBP 2.8 doesn't fit the bill processing raw bracketed images into HDR. Way to slow.

Are the new iMacs screens calibration worthy. My 2009 15" MBPs screen "glossy" is ball park. I have a Lacie 321 for critical color rendering.

So, how does the new iMacs screen compare to my old MBP for calibrated accuracy?

The goal is to get a budget effective computer thats going to have a substantial reduction in processing time.

I don't even know if a mac mini might pull the load?

-- hide signature --

Gregory Eddinger
Those that believe they can, CAN, because they BELIEVE!

The highest configured Mac minis (2.3Ghz or 2.6Ghz i7 models with SSD or Fusion Drive) will kick the living daylights out of your old MBP. No contest. The difference in performance will be dramatic.

The highest configured iMac 3.4Ghz will perform better, obviously, but it will also benefit from the dedicated graphics card, especially when using Photoshop which uses your graphics card for better performance. Lightroom doesn't.

The difference between the screen on your old MBP and the newest iMac is night and day. The new iMac displays are gorgeous. The screens are also factory calibrated but you can also calibrate it yourself. For most situations and most people the iMac displays are more than good enough for photo work.

If I recall correctly your Lacie is an old model and I believe the latest iMac displays have a wider color gamut than your old Lacie. It will certainly be higher resolution, much brighter and have a much better contrast ratio.

If your budget is limited then go for the Mac mini. I did initially, and I bought the latest i7 mini but I ran into trouble finding a worthy and economical display that could approach the quality of the iMacs so I returned it and went all the way with a fully configured 27" iMac. I'm glad I did. The Mac mini would have made sense to me if only I could find a high quality display at a reasonable price or if I already owned a display I was happy with. The Mac mini is an awesome little computer and I still felt bad returning it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow