Started Jun 29, 2013 | Photos thread
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,446
Like?
Re: Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW
In reply to sybersitizen, Jun 30, 2013

sybersitizen wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
I would do any amount of work on a file to make it look better. The question is, will all of that work on RAW really result in something visibly better.

Then yes. RAW was made specifically for folks like you. (Not me! I shoot JPG for several reasons, only one of which is that I find the results satisfactory.) But why would a bazillion - or whatever the number is - forumites support the RAW shooting process if they didn't see something worthwhile in it for themselves?

And has been mentioned already, some of your assertions about what RAW can't do are just wrong, like this one:

And no, the RAW file was not created without the WB... settings you put into the camera.

Read up and try things before posting such stuff. If you are really as fanatic about doing 'any amount of work' as you say you are, I'm sure you'll be sitting on the other side of the fence soon.

From an Email from Gary Friedman:

I said:

Then there is RAW once again. I discovered that Photoshop Elements 11 can import RAW files directly and process them just fine without the IDC or any other converter program. That makes it very easy to shoot RAW only now, and not have to shoot RAW + JPG all the time. But the question is, what camera functionality do you lose if you don't let the camera process the images all the way to JPG?

Other Gary replied:

No DRO.
No lens corrections (distortion, vignetting, or CA corrections)
No MFNR, HDR, or other multi-frame features.
No picture effects (no great loss there!)
No panorama mode

This is all I can think of off the top of my head.  (Mind you, my head is spinning right now with issues relating to a funeral and liquidation of an estate.)

I continue:

Such as the noise reduction functions, maybe some of the scene settings, sharpening, color modes, White Balance settings?

Friedman:

Those don't go away; you're expected to do those when you open the RAW file.  Lightroom tends to look at the notes the camera made and apply them for you.

I know that when you open the RAW file it says one of the options for white balance is "As Shot." It may adjust the exposure some for you, but basically you can't shoot even in RAW without setting exposure properly.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow