One thing I miss about my DSLR

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: One thing I miss about my DSLR
In reply to rogatsby, Jun 30, 2013

rogatsby wrote:

Thanks for the great advice. I think you are right that this is the only real solution. But I recall getting nice shots with my DSLR just using the continuous autofocus feature. I had that turned on, but the Nex couldn't get it just right.

That being said, I am very happy with the Nex-5N, and my son (who is pictured in the photo) actually liked this shot a lot. I like it too, despite the missed focus

But you didn't miss the focus.  Looks like you didn't pan perfectly enough because your shutter was too slow.  I think you have the right idea, but I'd guess that 1/40 just is a bit too slow.  I also wonder how much OSS fights the panning or if it supports panning?  Anyway, when I pan, I start well before the point where I'm taking the shot, and I follow through; this has worked well for me at airshows.  (In that case, I might use 1/800 for jets and less for prop. planes. )  Also helpful is the fast continuous shutter capability; at 10 frames per second, you should be able to get something you like.

But the photo as posted looks pretty good, only slightly blurred.  Good enough for small prints/web use, I think.  I probably wouldn't print that poster size.  But a slightly faster shutter and smoother panning and you might come up with just what you want.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow