How satisfied are you with your E-M5?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Questions thread
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
Re: How satisfied are you with your E-M5?
In reply to apennh, Jun 30, 2013

apennh wrote:

I'm travelling through the UK and Europe for 6 weeks and i'm trying to decide what camera to take.

I currently have the Nikon D700 with a 28 - 300 lens and 50 1.8 and last year i took it on a 4 week holiday to the USA and it was a huge burden. My neck was killing me by the end of the trip so there is no way i'm taking with me again.

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the Canon 6D with the 24-105 f.4 and a 50 1.4 but then i wondered if it really is light enough for travel. I read some good reviews about the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and now i don't know what to do.

I will be shooting mostly landscapes and street photography and imagine i'll be doing a bit of low light photography and i'll probably want to blow a few up when i get back. I'm not a pro i just enjoy photography as a hobby but i am quite picky when it comes to image quality.

Obviously the better choice in regards to image quality is the 6D but my dilemma is i will be on a tour and i am only allowed a small carry-on (basically the size of a small handbag) i have not been able to find a camera bag that fits into their requirements, so i will have to carry the camera in my handbag when not in use.

My D700 with the 28 - 300 (a lens which i hate by the way) weighs approx 2.1 KG

6D with the 24 - 105 weighs approx 1.5KG add the 50 1.4 to my bag and it's approx 1.8KG but at least the most that will be around my neck is 1.5KG

Olympus E-M5 with twin lens kit 14 - 42 & 40 - 105 weighs approx 800grams

So my question is how satisfied with the E-M5 are you when your shooting or when looking back through your photos do you ever wish/or how often do you wish you had an SLR in that moment? Is it worth sacrificing good image quality for weight or is the Olympus pretty satisfying and you don't really see it as a sacrifice?

Thanks.

I am very satisfied with the OM-D and the various lenses other than the 12-50 kit lens I have acquired. Low light performance is superb. If you really want to not be as dissapointed switching to mft from a DSLR then get better glass. Perhaps the 12-35 and 35-100 from Panasonic.

I always wish to have DSLRs when shooting fast moving objects, but for tourist type walkaround and landscape the OM-D is great. On top of that if you shoot video at all the stabilization of the IBIS is really fantastic.

But to be brutally honest about my thoughts with the OM-D I have since purchased the Sony RX-1 and find I'm using it far more. That may be just a honeymoon phase, but it's been since last Christmas so maybe I should say I like FF compacts more than mFT.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow