New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to bhollis, 10 months ago

bhollis wrote:

dprsok wrote:

Canon 300mm F/2.8L II + 2x III

+1

Based on everything I've read, this does seem to be the best sub $10K option. Unfortunately, it's still quite expensive at over $7,500.

If the OP really wants 500, and even better, use of a 1.4x extender that maintains AF on all Canon bodies, a used 500/4 IS MK I can be even cheaper.  KEH has an EX+ one available for $6400, offers a two-week return, and six month warranty (I am in the midst of testing their return policy, or perhaps warranty, because if they can fix the particular telephoto I bought from them which crapped out after 10 days, I'd love ot have it - I'll write up my experience when we're done.  Due to be delivered to their return department on Monday).  This gets you up to 700/5.6 - 500 and beyond for well under $10K.

You can get it cheaper from private parties.

Another possibility is the old non-IS EF 500/4.5 L.  It's a very good lens.  Not as good as the current MK IIs, of course (nothing is, duh!), but a relative bargain (KEH has one for $3300).  Bonus is that this lens weighs about 6 lbs, very light for a 500.  Downside is you lose AF with a Canon 1.4x (why did they make it an f4.5 lens?  Because it's an old FD design, pre-EOS AF, so the AF/5.6 limitation wasn't a consideration, remounted for the EOS line - the original EF 300/2.8 was also a remounted FD 300/2.8) but you can get bodies to AF  with it with aftermarket 1.4xs.  Despite its age, it is part of the first generation telephotos from Canon to incorporate a calcium fluorite element, it's painted a comforting "L" supertelephoto white, and has the kind of build quality you expect from a Canon big white.

While the lack of IS is a downside (but check the price), its light weight makes it easily manageable on a monopod.  I ran into one out in the field at Malheur NWR a month ago, and the owner is very satified with it.  Bob Atkins of photo.net has owned and used one for years and is also very happy with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow