Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon vs Canon; a few question
In reply to ZedEm, Jun 30, 2013

ZedEm wrote:

This isn't quite another "Which one is better?" thread but more of a question period where I ask questions and where others answer based on their expertise and experience.

I am not a troll nor do I actually believe there is a difference between either that can make or break a photographer but I am intrigued as to why some people find differences between products that without creative input from a human being do nothing more than act as heavy and expensive paperweights.

I have been a Canon user since day one and in talking to people and reading forums, I have come across certain assertions others make about each brand. I am often left wondering how much truth there is to each statement so I am going to write down statements I have encountered in the last few years and I hope others can chime in to where such "facts" originated from and if there is any truth to them. Here it goes and don't ask me to source where I've heard or read each statement but I assure you, they are out there.

1) "Canon professional lenses are better"

2 "Nikon consumer lenses are better"

I would switch the above. Of the pro level lenses I've used the Nikons have tended to be VERY slightly better in terms of sharpness, bokeh, etc. Consumer level lenses have tended to go the opposite. Again, we're talking VERY minor differences here though.

3) "Nikons are more often employed in the studio setting due to superior flash systems"

Never heard that.

4) "Most sport/wildlife photographers use Canons becuase XYZ"

If 'XYZ' means Canon provides more top tier lenses via sponsorship I agree.

5 "Most landscape photographers use Nikons"

Never heard that either.

6) "Canons create 'disney' colors when shooting JPEG"

7) "Nikon JPEGs have a green tint to them"

Green?! In my opinion Sony's images have a slight magenta tint, Nikon's images tend towards a slight yellow, and Canon's are the least consistent but tend towards green.

8) "The older you are, the more likley it is you shoot with a Nikon"

Huh?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow