Cataract replacement lenses & viewfinders, experiences?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bugbait
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
Cataract replacement lenses & viewfinders, experiences?
Jun 30, 2013

I am interested in any experience you photographers have had with their surgically replaced eye lenses. I recently have been told I have cataracts and will be seeing my surgeon soon and will be selecting the type of replacement lenses that will be implanted. This is a surgery that takes on average about 10 minutes per eye. Each eye done a few weeks apart to insure healing of one before doing the other.

I am posting this here in this Canon forum because I am this winter investing in a DSLR system and although very taken with the D7100, for better quality control and software options with the history of Magic Lantern for Canons; the 70D will likely be my new camera. Also there is often some very intelligent and nuanced discussions here and I am sure some of the posters and lurkers in this forum have had the surgery or have family members that have had it done.

Although I have had a good sampling of what an EVF can do, I rather be seeing nature through a quality glass pentaPRISM viewfinder (even at 96%) than staring at a digital screen half of my day. Although I yearn for the flip screen for macro work, it will be turned faced in most of the time and I will be using the viewfinder. I also have monocular vision. Even though I can see out of either eye I am only seeing out of one, so what is in the viewfinder once it is brought to my face is entirely it. (This is a natural accommodation as my left and right eyes are 4 diopters offset vertically.) And have not tolerated the numbers etched in progressive lenses as I also have transient baby brain strokes resulting in monocular double vision. My cataracts are posterior subcapsular type, resulting in tons of glare and headaches but ironically no fuzziness or color change. I am 50 years old.

There exist multifocal lens implants that focus far and intermediate distance items on the retina at the same time but can result in some circular glare and ghosting in a small percentage of patients. There is blended monocular lens that can put distant in one eye and intermediate in the other. (This is what I am leaning toward.) And there are "accommodating" lenses that can flex the lens to focus far, intermediate and near with no reported glare effects, but some patients can not train their eye muscles to flex them while others can, also those lenses are elective and over $4000 USD a pair.

I have watched some videos and read two books on this subject but at the same time I would be glad to hear any feedback from you photographers that have experience with replaced lenses.

For anyone interested and have not known about this procedure I have added some YouTube links showing it.

Animation of the procedure.

Actual sample video of the surgery in real time.

Other samples of Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery.

I will also link the books and video I have found helpful for others current and future reference.

Video: Advances in Cataract Surgery (No date, of publication, basic but helpful.)

So You've Got a Cataract? What You Need to Know About Cataract Surgery: A Patient's Guide to Modern Eye Surgery, Advanced Intraocular Lenses & Choosing Your Surgeon. (November 7th 2012.) Print, Kindle $4.97.

Cataract Surgery:  A Patient's Guide to Cataract Treatment. (April 1st 2009.) Print, Kindle $7.99.

A personal Account of Cataract Surgery.  (December 12th 2012.) Kindle $2.99.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 70D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow