Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Questions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,817
Like?
Re: Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Jun 29, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

I don't know. Heard from two that they have encountered dust issue, so far nothing on mine yet (touch wood) When the camera is not in my pocket, it is either in my case or placed LCD upwards, not sure if this helps. Bottom line: it is not completely dust proof, so the worst case is to send it to Ricoh for cleaning when the inevitable happens. I guess it is still better than D600

ashenwreck wrote:

Is there a dust concern getting inside doing this or is it strictly related to when the lens is extended out? A rather newb-ish question, I realize.

Aleksander

The question of dust in lens is fraught.  Most people have no problem.  Wouter unfortunately had a bad trot with some GX100's  (I think) a while ago and was a bit annoyed then and now when some suggested that it came from pocket lint as he never carried his cameras in a pocket.  This was never meant as a censure of anyone doing so but more "trying to help" by eliminating possibilities. I suggested that in different climates with heated premises hot/cold and protective clothing that it might be possible to build up static charge on the camera that might suck dust into it.   But no one else seemed to think this a problem.  I don't seem to have had a similar problem in less centrally heated either very dry or very wet and nothing much in-between Australia.  But maybe I have just been lucky, or not looked hard enough.

I think Ricoh were supportive and helped him out.  I did not mean to imply that there was any real problem there but more to mention that the GR is an eminently pocketable camera but doing so carries its risks and it is simply a case of do as you wish.  In reality there is unlikely to be any problem with cameras in pockets unless someone is really careless.

I will not mention the keys through the lens leaves problem again unless I get into further trouble but you get the gist of it.

I have a Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 "trombone" lens.  This is capable of very rapid extension and contraction and is a fine lens.  But it is known as a "dust pump" as quite a lot of  air has to go somewhere very quickly.  But it never has given me a problem either, perhaps I just don't look hard enough (as I said).  The extension and contraction of any Ricoh lens is very slow and wimpy by comparison.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow