Is the 6D really light enough for travel?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
apennh
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Is the 6D really light enough for travel?
Jun 29, 2013

I'm travelling through the UK and Europe for 6 weeks and i'm trying to decide what camera to take.

I currently have the Nikon D700 with a 28 - 300 lens and 50 1.8 and last year i took it on a 4 week holiday to the USA and it what a huge burden. My neck was killing me by the end of the trip so there is no way i'm taking with me again.

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the Canon 6D with the 24-105 f.4 and a 50 1.4 but then i wondered if it really is light enough for travel. I read some good reviews about the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and now i don't know what to do.

I will be shooting mostly landscapes and street photography and imagine i'll be doing a bit of low light photography and i'll probably be putting a few of them on canvas when i get back. I'm not a pro i just enjoy photography as a hobby but i am quite picky when it comes to image quality.

Obviously the better choice is the 6D but my dilemma is i will be on a tour and i am only allowed a small carry-on (basically the size of a small handbag) i have not been able to find a camera bag that fits into their requirements, so i will have to carry the camera in my handbag when not in use.

My D700 with the 28 - 300 (a lens which i hate by the way) weighs approx 2.1 KG

6D with the 24 - 105 weighs approx 1.5KG

Oly E -M5 with twin lens kit 14 - 42 & 40 - 105 weighs approx 800grams

So my question is, has anyone travelled with the 6D and how did you find it? and also is there a huge difference between the olympus and the canon in image quality to warrant sacrificing weight for image quality?

Thanks.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 6D Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow