Any and all constructive criticism and feedback for these three photos would be appreciated

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Photos thread
jbf
jbf
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,200
Like?
Re: Any and all constructive criticism and feedback for these three photos would be appreciated
In reply to tluvr, Jun 29, 2013

tluvr wrote:

I happened upon two young people doing a photo shoot for a project, so the setup is all theirs, I just asked if I could snap a few pics too and they were happy to let me, I just stayed out of their way, still would like some feedback on composition, exposure, etc, whatever might help me in my learning, thanks in advance

I'm not an expert on the technical stuff and it doesn't look like you did much editing, so I'll skip those topics and instead discuss the creative shooting options this scene provides.  It's a little difficult to critique your photos because a number of important elements like lighting were almost entirely out of your control.  First I'll say that I like the fact that you shot from a low angle as opposed to shooting from above eye level.  However, in terms of perspective and composition, all of the shots have the subject roughly in the middle of the frame with the subject roughly the same size and orientation.  You said you were trying to stay out of the way, but I'm sure you could have gotten a little more creative than centering the full subject in each shot.

There are a couple of things that stand out to me about this scene and make it worth photographing.  The main one is the exquisitely crafted, well-polished string bass contrasted with an environment in decay.  The smooth curves and shiny color of the instrument create a strong visual contrast against the entropy of the background.  The young woman seems out of place in this location as well which is interesting too, although if she were dressed in formal wear the contrast between her and the environment would be stronger.  To make the strongest image that plays up the contrast between the instrument and its surroundings, you need to find a way to isolate just the bass and the nearby decay showing the bass looking as perfect as possible with the rest of the frame filled with as much trash and crumbling structure as possible.  I don't know if it was possible to effectively capture the scene I just described given the situation in which you were shooting, but the point is that having a clear concept and trying to portray that concept as strongly as possible while eliminating all elements that don't enhance the concept is a good thing to keep in mind while shooting.  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know here, but it always helps to keep the basics in mind.

On to a more interesting topic.  The contrast between the instrument and the environment is the first thing that came to my mind.  For that reason, it probably isn't the most creative way to shoot the scene although capturing it really well could make for a great shot.  The photographers I admire most are able to take it to another level and see things other people might not see in that same situation.  I realize that's asking a lot and I'm not saying I can do it.  The reason I bring it up is because I did notice something interesting about your first photo that I thought was definitely hitting that next level of special photography.  I don't know if you saw it when you took the shot or if you accidently captured it.  If you did see it at the time, great job.

What I'm referring to is the corrugated metal inside the tunnel.  More specifically, there's a perfect fit with the instrument being played and the way the metal ripples resemble a visual representation of a sound wave.  When I first looked at your picture, I thought about the sound that would be produced by a string bass being played inside a tunnel with all the potential echoes.  Unfortunately sound is very difficult to represent visually, but lucky for you a great visual representation of sound just happens to be completely surrounding the subject.

So how could you enhance that visually via photographic technique?   I think getting down even lower and getting as close to the subject as possible would help.  You want aim the camera to eliminate all of the ground clutter.  Even though the clutter works in regard to the contrast I mentioned earlier, it's so difficult to represent sound in a still image that the goal should be to eliminate any distractions and save the contrast with the environment for another shot.  Ideally what you want is for the viewer to imagine her surrounded by sound and completely forget that she is in a tunnel.  Also, if she was moving the bow and you had a way to keep the camera steady, it might have been good to slow down the shutter and capture some movement and string vibration to create a connection with the rhythm of the metallic ripples.  The light on the tunnel is actually pretty good.  It'd be nice if the light on the subject wasn't so harsh, but unfortunately that was out of your control.

Thanks for sharing.  Hope this helps,

jbf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow