Are you off to pasture new (FF) Poll

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Polls thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,039Gear list
Like?
Re: Just one thing.
In reply to ASR45, Jun 29, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

I guess the big question mark for me is, can the 60-250 and other such lens be used on full frame, i dont know what the consensus of opinion on the current lens line up from pentax, if they can be used for full frame or not. If not i will have to rethink that one, would be a shame if the current high end lens cannot be used that would be a bummer.

Zooms are problematic, but all primes from 31mm and up should be cover FF. There's a long thread on this, with test shots, at Pentax Forums.

What Pentax did with Q to Q7 could be a precursor to APS-C to FF. From Pentax Imaging Q7 site:

"The 01, 02, 06, and 07 lenses are fully compatible with the 1/1.7-inch size. The ratio for the lens focal length equivalent in 35 mm format has become approximately 4.6. For the 03, 04, and 05 lenses, images are recorded after trimming processing for an angle of view optimized to the image circle of each."

The camera automatically crops the lenses that don't match the 1/1.7" image circle, but they don't crop all the way to 1/1.23". For the 05 toy lens telephoto for example:

• On a Q or Q10, crop factor is 5.56, focal length equivalent is 100mm
  • On a Q7, focal length is 94mm equivalent, so crop factor is 5.22X
  • Except that the crop factor of the Q7 is actually 4.6, so if they were to use the entire image circle, focal length equivalent would be 83mm.

It would be easy to implement a choice in a FF menu:

1. No crop
  2. Crop to 1.5X
  3. Optimize crop
-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow