Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to plautoq, Jun 29, 2013

plautoq wrote:

What are your thoughts on getting to the 500mm range ? Canon IS 100-400, Sigma OS 150-500mm, Canon IS 300mm with 1.4 extender (close enough), Canon non-IS 400 with 1.4 extender or other alternatives ? What is your experience so far if you own any (or all) of those lenses ? I saw a lot of comments, but it seems like there is no clear winner. Of course, north of 10K is a no brainer with all available options. Maybe you can share your experiences with cropping as well to reach the same equivalent magnification.

FWIW, when the firmware upgrade came out allowing AF at f/8 with the 5D3, I decided to try my EF 1.4x TC II on my 100-400L--giving me 560mm.  What I got was a combination of significantly slower and less accurate AF, and degraded IQ, to the extent that I decided I was  better off just shooting at 400mm w/o the TC and cropping--at least with moving subjects.  Fact is, I didn't get one really sharp shot of a moving subject with the 1.4x TC fitted.

The lighting was somewhat overcast, though.  Might try again in better light.  But I'm not particularly optimistic.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow