Beginner at PP seeking advice (and on printing)

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bryanchicken
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Beginner at PP seeking advice (and on printing)
Jun 29, 2013

Hi all,

This is a photo i took on a recent trip to Malta. I do have a m43 camera but unfortunately on this day it was in the hotel as we were planning on snorkelling a lot. Thusly, this was taken with a cheapo waterproof we were playing with at the time (a £40 Polaroid ID642 if anyone is interested).

Being a noob i think its come out quite well apart from the actual IQ. That is "well" for my skill level, not compared to some of the fantastic shots i see on here of course.

So, i downloaded the trial of Lightroom which i am considering purchasing and had a play. The 2 major annoyances for me were obviously that embedded date (WHY do that you dumb camera!?!?) and the people in the sea. So i started by cropping them out and playing with the colours and sharpness a bit and came up with this:

So, a couple of questions:

1 - what would you have done PP wise with the original image?

2 - as i am considering printing i was wondering what sort of size i could get considering the (lack of) IQ from the camera. 5x7? Bigger? Is there a rule of thumb to work it out? I don't have a photo printer to test it out unfortunately.

Any (friendly) critique is also welcome. This is my first attempt at PP so i'm well aware that what i've done is not gonna be top drawer.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow