Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Re: About moderation - Feedback
In reply to Ed B, Jun 29, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Removing spam but allowing rampant trolling, is that what you'd like to see?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Don't get me wrong because I'm not trying to be a jerk but allowing some trolling is a good idea because that adds a certain amount of interest to the forums. Keeps them from becoming boring.

Exactly.  In fact, dealing with the trolls can be entertaining.  As long as the troll (or anyone else) doesn't go off the tracks and starts being abusive, then what is the harm?

A troll who becomes "obnoxious" can easily be controlled through the complaint system.

A mod should not get involved unless there are complaints.

And even then the mod needs to look closely at the thread to see if it has in fact become derailed, rather than someone just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Some of the moderation has hurt DPR and these forums are quickly becoming less and less interesting.

Considerably less.

Spam should always be removed, posts with bad language removed, some posts need to be moved to other forums, but a moderator shouldn't get involved with a thread unless there are complaints.

Just an opinion.

And this is pretty much what real moderation is about.

Mods should not be trolling the forums looking for people to chastise, or posts/threads to delete.

The mods should be waiting for the users to complain, and then looking to see if the complaint is valid, taking action only when necessary.

The preemptive strike strategy does not work.  It alienates your friends and allies, in this case, DPR users.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow