About moderation - Feedback

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,420
Like?
Re: Moderator Note : For the record
In reply to Deleted1929, Jun 29, 2013

sjgcit wrote:

I don't know specifically what all moderators do and specific instances will always have exceptions, but AFAIK we generally try to inform the member involved why actions are taken.

> It also would likely promote more civil responses from the user and create useful dialog.

Firstly moderators are not obliged to enter a dialog. It's not a democracy and people need to stop trying to convince themselves it is. Moderators are there to make decisions which are not, practically by definition, going to be popular or agreed with by the people on the receiving end.

For example, anyone under the impression that someone whose post has been deleted for trolling is going to engage in a useful dialog with a moderator is, I can tell you from personal experience, going to get a rude awakening.

In any case, as a matter of practical reality volunteer moderators do not have the time to litigate their way through endless pseudo-legal claptrap that we do indeed get from members determined to change our minds.

This isn't court, we're not judges and you're not lawyers. We're moderators and we make decisions based on our common sense interpretation of rules. Don't like those decisions ? Take it up with the Admins via Feedback.

That's how it works. Simple.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

That there is a problem here at dpreview is evident from the numerous threads like the one in whcih we are engaged, thinking everythins is hunky dory is burrying our collective heads in the sand,

but as the moderators have pointed out, and I feel quite well; its not, as stated above, a democracy.

In the few actions that have directly affected me I have received full explinations from the mods as to why an action was taken, while I think one or two silly there it is. They were doing what they signed on to do.

We as the generaly posters have no recourse for redress beyond what the owners allow. We are guests here. guests of the owners and should keep that in mind. we have no rights other than the rights granted by the owners and administration.

But yes I know there is always a but.

There is a direct corolation between rules and thier administration and the vitality of a forum.

more rules and stricter enforcment make for a peacful but unexciting experience, fewer rules and looser enforcment will encourage more dynamic and exciting and make for a less diciplined forum. It is up to you, the moderators to shape the experience here. Your the ones responsible for setting the level of tolerance and accomodation. I am assuming you have met with eachother and have a good idea of where you want this experience to go.

what kind of forum do you want? ( in this case you is a collective pronoun) it your call, but to make the best call you need to know what we participants want as well as the owners. If you don't listen to the unwashed masses of we posters you run the risk of the whole thing whithering on the vine.

I came to dpreview a short time before the Leica M8 was introduced in 2006 and have been here on and off since. I participate here out of a love of photography, a desire to learn and to contribute, but mostly I come here to have fun, fun to meet with friends on the Leica forum, fun to have livly debates, fun to share photos with my fellow Leica forumers, fun to learn etc.

I am guessing I am not much different than most other posters, We have a very interesting mix of well educated pro and amateur photographers here united by our love of making images.

But if the forums become over moderated to the point they loose their vitality I will porbably leave.

You have a tough row to hoe in keeping order and allowing free discourse. I would urge you as an unwritten rule of thumb if your going to error error on the side of less moderation rather than more.

So even though we have not legal standing and its you and the administration who will set the tone of the forums it has beed determined by the owners that the forums are very very good for business and increase the traffic at dpreview  so do not think for a moment we have no leverage.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow