wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
Re: macbook pro + external screen for photo editing
In reply to Tom_N, Jun 29, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

lnguyenh wrote:

Basically, it is between:

• 13 inch retina , i5 2.5 GHz dual core, 8GB ram, 128 SSD drive (+ pbbly a USB3 external drive)
  • 13 inches non retina, i7 2.9 GHz dual core, 8GB ram, 750 GB drive
  • 15 inches non retina, i7 2.3 GHz quad core, 4GB ram 500 GB drive

Any opinions, with performance for photo editing in mind?

If maximum performance for heavy-duty photo applications is the main concern, then of the three you listed, the 15-inch non-Retina MBP is the way to go. It has a quad-core CPU and a dedicated GPU and you can order it with a "hi-res" anti-glare screen. Add 8 GB or 16 GB of third-party RAM and you would be good to go. (Later you could replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD.)

The 13-inch Retina MBP has the advantages of an IPS screen and much lighter weight. It may also be able to drive two large DisplayPort monitors (to the others' one), like its 15-inch Retina MBP cousin.

Good advice Tom

I bought the non-retina for both the anti-glare screen, dvd and user seviceable parts. I replaced the internal drive with a 240gb SSD upgraded the 4gb ram to Kingston (cheap) 16gb and added a network connected external drive (1gb ethernet cable) since I am still waiting for TB drives to come down in price.

I'm using a 27" TB display mostly but have the 15" display as an auxilliary screen. I'm confident I could edit photos while mobile on the 15" screen but would be sceptical about doing same on a 13" (even if it is a retina model).

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow