Flat view
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
X Vario Low Light -vs- D-Lux6 Low Light
Jun 29, 2013

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Leica_X_Vario/Test27_Leica_Dlux6_Iso400.jpg

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Leica_X_Vario/Test27_Leica_X_Vario_Iso3200.jpg

The above two images were taken with the D-Lux6 and X Vario from about 12 feet distance, D-Lux6 set to f2.3, 1/15 sec. handheld (elbow braced), ISO 400, full 90mm zoom; X Vario set to f6.4, 1/15 sec. handheld (elbow braced), ISO 3200, full 70mm zoom.

The reason I set the focal lengths to full zoom length was to make the comparison more relevant for me, i.e. since the X Vario has a 16 mp large sensor and the D-Lux6 a 10 mp small sensor, letting the D-Lux6 have the longer zoom brings the cropped image size closer. As much as might not be "fair" with these settings, the objective was to visualize the ISO performance and speed of the X Vario in low light, and this test should provide some insight at least. Neither camera had the settings for sharpness, contrast, noise etc. changed from the factory defaults.

I started with the D-Lux6 and programmed auto, and set the lighting to a level where I could shoot at ISO 400 and 1/15 second, which was good enough for sharp images based on the fact that each image in the bursts I did had equal sharpness. Then with the X Vario, I set both dials to Auto and then incremented the ISO until the display said I was shooting at 1/15 second.

Note: This D-Lux6 is the G-Star Raw edition.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Leica X Vario
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow