Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Revision17
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Olympus 60mm macro vs 45mm 1.8
Jun 29, 2013

A few weeks ago during the father's day sale I ordered the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro lens; however its still backordered right now.

So I got to thinking, I do a decent amount of macro pictures (probably around 1/3 of my photo related outings are related to pictures of small things).  However maybe the 45mm 1.8 with those fogta autofocus extension tubes may be more versatile, as I can use it with the extension tubes for macro and also as a short telephoto fast lens.  I also probably won't want to go beyond 1:2 magnification often.

But then I got to doing a non-scientific study of looking at various pictures of 45mm with extension tubes vs 60mm macro, and the 60mm macro ones do in general seem to be nicer and sharper.  There's also the benefit of not needing to switch out extension tubes when I want to take non macro pictures as well.  Also the longer focal length would work to my advantage with skittish or aggressive insects.

Based on my uses, it seems like the 60mm macro I have on order would be better for my purposes.  But I'm interested to hear what people think of the PITA or lack thereof using extension tubes in the field.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow