Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,591
Like?
Situations differ
In reply to Sapper987, Jun 29, 2013

Sapper987 wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

You appreciate that I'm not going to be drawn into specifics.

I'm simply acknowledging that actions have been taken by moderators rather than leaving the impression that none are.

There is always going to be a gray area where moderators regard something as being too a rule breach and posters regard it as being fine. Moderators, however, make the decision. That's just how it works. The correct way for any member who feels wronged by any decision to try and correct that is to use Feedback to contact the Administrators. Strangely some people refuse to do this. That's their problem, not ours. A few people have tried to make it our problem. There's only going to be one looser in such a fight. That's just common sense.

Thankfully the vast majority of members don't even experience moderator action, and most of those that do are reasonable - unhappy, but reasonable.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Again, this is why if an action is being moderated it is the duty of the moderator to cite the specific rule that is in violation and how the user violated that rule.

In general that seems to most often be the case, but not every situation lends itself to that nor is it always necessary...just as I don't expect every member to read the rules before posting. Though I would call that their duty as well. If they did that (they are reminded of them each time they post) then in many cases the reason for moderation would be obvious and no need to "remind" them of there duty and responsibility as members. That action alone by members would generate more civil responses from the user and create useful dialog.

This would lead to more consistent moderation and would probably prevent some of the "feels wronged" by members at large. It also would likely promote more civil responses from the user and create useful dialog.

It does normally work like that, IMO, but not every situation lends it self to that nor is it necessary. And is must be understood that no system will be perfect. After the 4th PM reminding a member of the rules and the one he broke for the 4th time...why bother? Just an example. Point being that an absolute approach may not be the best course of action in each case. I would think it good technique though to strive to inform the members in a way that helps and educates. I have found though that a few members take great offense when they are informed...hense a flexable approach often is betterr than a more automated/static one...with guide lines vs absolutes.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow