It's that time again - show us who you are......

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,181Gear list
Like?
It's that time again - show us who you are......
Jun 28, 2013

Hi folks:

Well, needless to say, the world has become such a small place anymore.  What once seemed like endless distances separating various borders,  now is no longer the case...thanks to the web, and in particular, forums like these.

Having said that, this m4/3 forum has grown by leaps and bounds, becoming the most active forum at DPReview.  But periodically, we need to realize that behind each posting - behind each avatar and screen name (no matter how creative) - lies a person with opinions, a history, a culture, and most of all, a desire for photography in some context.

So I'd like to suggest that periodically, we should "re-introduce" ourselves, showing a recent photo of who we are, and a photo of where we reside, and provide a little history such as where you were born (originally hailed from) and where you live now.  You watch, once you put a history and a face with a screen name, things tend to become a little more close in regards to respect for our fellow posters.  Of course, for some folks, divulging anything more than a screen name is all they will be willing to do (thus protecting their forum anonymity).

So allow me to begin first, if I may - heck, I've got nothing to hide.

My full name is Bernd Werner Herrmann (screen name:  benherrmann).  I was born in Moosburg, Bavaria (then West Germany) February 1949.  We emigrated to the US in the mid-50's.  My father, who was a Wehrmacht Panzer Officer during WW II was hired by the US Army to teach tank tactics, so we elected to make the USA our new home.  The nick-name "Ben" was given to me as a kid.  As you know, kids can be a mean bunch and being an immigrant from Germany immediately following WW II, some kids referred to me either as "Ben" (don't know where they got that), or "the Nazi..." sigh.  So I elected to respond to Ben!!!!  And it stuck ever since (remember, there is no nick-name for the German first name "Bernd").  We originally settled in Philadelphia, Pa., and it was there I entered the US Marine Corps at the age of 18.  After having served 26 years in the Marines - and a Vietnam Vet - we eventually settled in the central North Carolina area where we reside permanently now.  I am now fully retired and enjoying life - heavily involved with photography, physical fitness, weight training, martial arts, fine wines/cuisine, and rifle and pistol marksmanship.  I've been on the DPReview forums since 2002.

Here's a photo of my wife (Jane) and I taken 6 or 7 months ago:

And this is our small, yet very comfortable home in the central North Carolina area:

OK Gang - it's your turn.  Let's see who you are and learn more about you.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow