Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Getting birds to pose for pictures.
Jun 28, 2013

I'm not having much luck trying to capture birds in flight or even landing in the middle of a tree. But I'm slowly learning, I admit to be a slow learner here, what does work. The idea is to get the fleeting little feathery darlings to pose for my camera. What I have learned so far is not out out of any cleverness on my part, but just dumbly stumbling on what does work

The first example of having a bird pose for pictures is this one. This little fellow held this pose for about five minutes. I know, you would think I would have gotten a better picture than this one. The light was bad, I could have set up some studio lights, or set the camera on a tripod up close and since he held this pose for five minutes, I could have gotten a long exposure.

How could this be, you may wonder, or you may be too bored to care? I heard something hit my window and looked out to see this little bird on my old porch deck, just frozen in this position for about five minutes, before gradually closing its beak, then slowly moving and finally flying into a nearby bush. I was ten feet away for this photo but could probably have gotten much closer if I wasn't concerned about adding to my subject's stress. Poor little bird, but a perfect subject for bird photos.

The bird that hit the window looks like a male gray catbird. It may have been defending his territory against his reflection. This time of year males birds are looking to keep other males away. Hopefully he recovered and it's a good sign that he flew off.

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow