Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
stratobill
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D as a 7D upgrade? Doubtful
In reply to Jerry-astro, Jun 28, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

I doubt that 'everyone knows' that. I think a good few people will decide that the 70D is good enough for them and go for it. Similarly, quite a few who might have spend their money on a 7D MkII will have been tempted by a 6D. The question is, whether those sicking out for a 7D Mk II and nothing else are numerous enough to pay what will be a big R&D bill.

Rather than debate all the points with you, I'll focus on this one. Do you seriously believe that the 6D is a legitimate "upgrade" for a decent number of people who own a 7D now and who might be focused on capabilities that go beyond FF? Seriously? The 6D is an entry level FF camera with an entry level focus subsystem, entry level frame rate, and a host of other features missing from the much older 7D. I won't speak for others, but if I had a hankering to get into FF (which is highly questionable at this point), it would be the 5DMk3 I'd be going for, certainly not the 6D. I am unwilling to give up on the higher end capabilities of the 7D simply to gain access to the world of FF, at least for my needs. I won't even get into the issue of reach, lens replacement, etc. etc.

You may think that, but I had an opportunity to buy my brother's lightly used 7D, took a pass and spent 3x as much for the 6D. I am well aware of the shortcomings you mention compared to the 7D, but, to many people, they just don't matter.

What matters to me is, from dusk on, from ISO 400 on, the image from the 6D simply blows away the smaller sensor. I just did a theatre shoot this  week and compared it to last year's shoot with a smaller sensor camera- no comparison, I shot all night at 3200 and the difference in noise and cleanliness of the image is staggering to me. Even the client mentioned how great the shots look.

So feel free to refer to the 6D any way you like, but many people are making the decision I did- opt for the lower frame-rate, FPS crippled, "entry level" 6D, and getting better results for their type of shooting than they EVER could with a 7D.

YMMV, IMHO, etc etc.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow