Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
The Heartbreak of Accidentally Shooting 'jpeg basic'
Jun 28, 2013

Intentionally shooting the D800 in 'jpeg basic' is like intentionally stripping out the top four gears of your Enzo.

I guess what I did was drive my Enzo around for a day not realizing that I never slid it out of 2nd.

I had some relatives from Sweden visiting, and a couple minor family events to document, and I wanted to use the D800.  Everything went well, things were captured when/how I wanted, the AF lock was thrilling, etc, etc, you know the story with the D800.

When I finally downloaded the sets and started to play with the first few shots, I didn't even notice the filenames right away - the first thing I noticed was the drastic lack of 'play' in the files.  I could barely lift shadows, highlights ignored my 'lower' demands, I felt like I had about 3 stops of DR to work with.

Then, to my abject horror, I noticed the filename extension - ".jpeg".

Panicked, I rifled back through the files in the library, until I found the last .NEF, where the break to jpeg began - luckily, it didn't go back too far, maybe 500 shots.  But it was enough.

Still have no clue how it happened.  I must have been twirling dials, accessing the menu, doing things too fast and at the same time.  Since its never happened before I don't really know what combo of actions did it, and I'm not ruling out the possibility of some toddler camera-playing happening, which they like to do... But a real man doesn't blame his three year old, right?    (at least not without damning evidence.)

Anyway, I'm safely back in NEF land with a lesson learned.  The jpegs still gave me some decent results for family/web sharing...  but I want my Ferrari to be a Ferrari.  

A few D800 "first Gear" jpeg basics:

(click 'original size' and then '+' to see detail or lack thereof)

Sigma 100-300 f4 wide-open

Sigma 100-300 f4 wide-open ISO 1600

Sigma 100-300 wide open

Nikon 20mm f/2.8D f8

Here's the Sigma's resolution wide-open @ 300mm:

Crop:

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow