Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: * Canon 70d * its here!
In reply to bobn2, Jun 28, 2013

Bobn2 wrote:

buellom wrote:

If Canon manages to differentiate a 6D and a 7DII enough I can image both existing at the same price point: 6D for landscapers and wide angles, 7DII for action and "reach". Built, AF, frame rate have to top the 70D. Maybe it has an integrated grip. The question is if there are enough people who are interested in a mini 1Dx. I think so. The next question is if Canon sees this. Again I think so.

I don't, really. The number of new sales (this is people who would buy that and not buy a 70D or 6D) would have to be enough to pay for the R&D costs of a completely new model, which would not be low. Consider, Canon has an APS-C mech which supports 8FPS, presumably they use this mech in the 70D. To go faster it is likely they will need a completely new mech, since the mechanical forces rise exponentially as FPS rises. Then they don't have an APS-C AF system better than the 19 point one, so they would need to develop that (the 1D X system is too large for the APS-C frame) - all in all a completely new camera for low sales. Can't see it being economic. Could be wrong, but I don't think that I am.

Then consider this, the 70D introduces the 20MP sensor. The 18MP sensor was introduced in the 7D, which appeared some time before the 60D. Why is not the 7D Mk II being introduced first? The best way to phase this introduction, if they are doing two, is to release the high end model first as they did the last time, then it has added sales from the new model halo effect and has the market to itself. The risk of doing it the other way is that unless the spec is very high, unfavourable comparisons will be made about the VFM of the new one.

The 7D was released first because it had the new sensor which would later be included in the 60D but the new model needed to be established first.  That isn't the case this time.  Everyone knows that Canon now has a high-end APS-C line and they'll be willing to wait for its update.  Also, if the 7DII also differentiates itself by having a 24 or higher MP sensor it will truly be in a class of its own.  Canon knows they need to get the 70D out and if the R&D for the 7DII is behind schedule then they'll do what they have to do despite it being less than optimal.  They've done it before and they'll do it again.  They may have gotten a bunch of upgraders with the 7D, but they also had to wait longer for the 60D to get the Rebel upgraders and the XXD upgraders that weren't up for spending a few hundred extra for a 7D.  I'd bet there were equally compelling argument for either release schedule and the net difference between the two was about zero.

Canon knows how to make very high frame rate shutters with very highly rated lifespans.  They put the new stuff into the high end bodies and as costs come done it hits lower and lower on the food chain.  I don't think there is any reason to doubt Canon's ability to strategize as appropriate to the technology they have developed or are currently developing.

-- hide signature --

Bob

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow