unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Let the whinefest begin! :-)
In reply to Jerry-astro, Jun 28, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

2 mp in four years seems like a joke.

Instead of improving the resolution, Canon seems to have decided that the public wants cellphone features like WiFi and a touchscreen. Some cellphones even have builtin HDR processing.

No, I think the incessant whining is more the joke here.  I'm not sure what Canon could do in the way of specs to make you really happy.  Is the extra MP that important to you vs. the possibility (emphasize possibility) of improved IQ?  No guarantees that will be the case, yet you seem to want to judge this before the camera is even announced.

You really should consider giving Nikon a try and see for yourself whether the grass truly is greener over there.  Let that forum listen to the whining for a while.

Jerry, I have to agree.  Canon was 2MP ahead of Nikon for almost four years and yet people say things like Canon is "finally" catching up.  So a few months after Canon finally got ahead of Canon they are being hailed as the saviour of those hungering for additional resolution/image quality.  THEN when Canon is RUMORED to be releasing a new sensor (although it does look legit) they are not worthy of any acknowledgement that the new sensor might have something to offer other than 2.2 extra megapixels over their 18MP sensor.  Nevermind there is a good chance, if the claims are true, that there will finally be a very well implimented version of their on-chip PDAF.  It also sounds like the 70D will have a 7D type AF system, which I don't think the XXD croud would even know how to handle.  No offense guys, I was thrown for a loop when going from my 30D to the 7D AF system because spot AF requires forethought (requires a LOT of contrast in a small space) and the large array of new AF features/controls is hard to adjust to.  Seriously, this isn't a personal shot....it is not a nice, easy learning curve.

I also think having an articulating screen is a nice feature of the XXD line and a good touch screen and wifi are nice to have to although not necessarily a must.  I think I would make use of them at least occasionally, and especially a phone app tapping into my camera's wifi for control and instant download and preview would be awesome.

Canon came out way ahead with the 7D four years ago and suddenly using that advantage to give them some time to do some R&D makes them incompetent and beyond foregiveness.  I wish people around here didn't expect miracles and also didn't see someone like Nikon releasing a sensor a little earlier (in the grand scheme of things, the product cycle isn't going to be exact but a few months or a year is shockingly close...Nikon waited three) as the only history worth remembering.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow