jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,245Gear list
Like?
vs Nikon
In reply to meland, Jun 28, 2013

meland wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With native iso of 12,800....All cross sensors....7 fps...HDR, .... and all the specs....JUST what the doctor ordered !!

Summer is looking very bright !! And couple it with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 ...low light Killer !! then add the fine 70 200 F4...which is cheap these days....Glad I unloaded my D7K just in time .

A claim of 12,800 ISO does not mean the sensor performs well at high ISO.

Cross sensors do not necessarily mean that the camera AF will work well. I have a T3i (actually two of them). I use the center cross focus point and it works really poorly compared with my old XSi. The T3i hunts under low light conditions and anytime I try closeups or macros.

I cannot imagine using in-camera HDR. On rare occasions I use bracketing and Photomatix HDR software. It takes a lot of skill to get a natural acceptable result.

I guess 7 fps meets the needs for sport or some wildlife photography. I have never done much spray and pray shooting.

-- hide signature --

Sarcastic dig #2

"I have never done much spray and pray shooting."

Sarcastic and then some.  And a T3i ?   I'l restrain my chuckle.    And using only the centre AF point ?  Then why are the Nikon boys so happy with 51 AF points ?   Really....

Only use the centre point ?   Sheesh, why not then go back 5 or 6 yrs and use a unit that doesn't have the latest af senor array.  You don't need it.  Me...I too use mostly the centre, but at times I really wanted a cross sensor at the side.  Also, Nik doesn't let u use any groupings other than one or all points.  (the other groupings are ONLY assist, not AF by normal standards).  That's where this Can af system is superior.

I have the new Nik sensor.  Sure it's good.  Not great.  Toshiba unit.  But at 6400 and above, no improvement over the one in the older D7k.  And, having tested the D7100 AF myself, there is no significant improvement in low light acquisition or in side sensor only use over the AF in the D7k.  Not that they are terrible, but, like the 7D complaints, good, but not to rave about.

As to DR....well it is good in the Niks...but how much do U believe DXO ?   Critics say it's biased for Nik and against Can.  Is it ?   Your choice as to what you believe.  Me...I'd not dismiss it completely but take it w a grain of salt.

So I'l keep my 24 meg Nik body...have some good lenses for it....and this new 70D...hey, maybe it will even have a better buffer...and that would be handy.

Oh, and another thing For Can.   The flash can be set completely separately from the body...not like Nik, where it overrides your input (unless you go 100% manual ).  So, each has plus/negs.  Tis why I use both .  And Sony RX100 for my pocket.  lol....

Have a great day, guys.

Jon

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow