Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions thread
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Just ordered Epson Canvas Satin and Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 28, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

You are really changing topics here and I think you would have more probability of a few replies if you were to start a new thread on your new topic.

Hello Brian. Yes, it seems like I'm changing topics. But the main thread is "Starting...." so I'd like to be thought of as a beginner and this thread to be like a sequence of how I begin to start and how I'm doing till this date and all the problems that I'm having and all the answers that will be found here. Thxs especially to you.

Neither of these two are popular media. The satin canvas has a particularly delicate surface, and should definitely be coated. The only two canvases that I use that can stand up to stretching without coating are Breathing Color Crystalline and Innova Ultra Gloss.

Yesterday I printed three A1 fine art photography pieces on Epson Canvas Satin. Thank god all turned out brilliant. So good that the person who ordered it wanted to place more orders. And another friend who heard this goodness will be here tonight to check with his own eyes how good the canvas print is and perhaps place a new order.

All in all I'm very satisfied at how Epson original papers handles easily. I might place a 44" one as 24" seem to be rather small when framed. So 44" is the ideal one for a real nice big print.

I use the printer’s cutter almost always, why wouldn’t you? I do vacuum the printers often.

Unlike the newer Hot Press and Cold Press Epson fine art papers, Epson Ultra Smooth is not as highly regarded. But papers are a very personal thing, which is why I stock many. I prefer Canson Rag Photographique 310 over the much more popular Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308; it doesn’t have the recurl problems and takes landscape greens far better.

By and large, you will have to stock papers that appeal to your clients, not you. But you will need a smooth matte, light textured matte (velvet), medium textured matte (German Etching, for example), coarse textured matte (Arches Aquarelle, for example), Barytas, and a couple of RC papers.

Yes, I'm now looking at several Epson fine art papers and want to place orders very soon. But Epson Indonesia did not have stock on most fine art papers so they said it'll  a month long wait.

When you get half way through a box or roll, it is time to think about adding a new paper, If you wait till the roll is almost though, you will end up reordering one of the same.

Brian A

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow