I never sell camera equipment because...

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,241
Like?
Re: I disagree a bit.
In reply to GingerBread, Jun 28, 2013

GingerBread wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

Cameras improve over the years, which is why many end up in a closet after being replaced my better models - maybe someone wants improved high ISO performance or a more portable system. Sure, the old ones still take good photos, but maybe not good enough any more.

Cars and TVs also improve, but probably not enough to get replaced, unless one wants to go from gas to electric for example.

Actually, the incremental safety improvements in car designs can easily warrant upgrades with each redesign of a particular model if you place a high value on the safety of your family as well as your own. Most of us simply assume we'll never have a bad accident and don't worry about it.

I agree that if one wants better high ISO or more room to crop, that may result in a new camera. But if you look around at some of photo sharing sites, some great photographs are still being taken by cameras considered very old tech by gear heads. Those artists who are perfectly happy with cameras like the old Canon 20D seem to have different priorities than having a clean ISO 6400 or the maximum possible dynamic range. I'm a bit of a gear head myself, I'm not an artist. I have to admit, though, that the artists do just fine with old tech, and when I review my prints from years ago, I question the "value" of some of my gear upgrades.

-- hide signature --

Ging

Ging

There is another point to support your contention.  The 'classic' camera.  I have been lucky to "ping" a few.  The GRD original and the Panasonic LC1 to name two.  The rather unknown, unloved Samsung NV7 was a quite brilliant, if slightly flawed, entry by that company too expensive for the market that thought Samsung only made cheap point'n'shoots.  Even my "original" Canon 5D might be regarded as a game changer today even if now left behind in the march of technology.  All of these camera have top class lenses (if added to the Canon) and take great images today.

The trick is knowing when to buy a game changer when it is still "just another new camera".  Might not be so hard - the Sony RX1 must be a game changer but few will afford the entry price to get a camera that will become a long-term classic.  More will simply buy cheaper cameras and roll them over more regularly in an effort to find that cheap game changer camera that will solve all photographic problems.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow