Fujifilm X-E1 Firmware Version 1.06

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
focus/recompose vs focus point selection
In reply to e268, Jun 28, 2013

e268 wrote:

I focus on the subject, press the AF/AE lock button, and reframe and shoot. It seems it achieves the same purpose of changing the focus point. Am I mistaken?

I used to think as you did. In most cases focus/recompose is all you need but there are certain circumstances where you need selectable focus points. When you have your subject close to the camera and you are using a wide aperture to give very shallow depth of field then focus/recompose will change the focusing distance enough that you're subject will then be out of focus (see my work of art below). I don't know if this is so much of a problem with the wide angle lenses but it will definitely be a problem for the upcoming 56mm f/1.2

The distance of the red line (where you are focusing) is slightly longer than the black line (the actual distance from subject).

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow