Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,187Gear list
Like?
WiFi in cameras
Jun 28, 2013

Almost all new cameras come with WiFi now. I am really trying to imagine how it is going to be useful, and cannot.

There are 2 scenarios quoted for WiFi in cameras:

1) Wireless image transfer. Here is what happens - I shoot a day, then come home, get the battery out of the camera and put it into charger, get the card out of the camera and insert it into computer and import photos and videos, import takes several minutes. USB3 reader reads the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s close to 80-90 MB/s, WiFi would work 10-100 times slower (depending how close I bring it to router) and drain the camera battery, which I would not be able to take out and put into charger immediately - so I would have to worry about that later again.

Anyway, the functionality is perfectly fine with EyeFi or any other flash card with built-in WiFi.

2) Wireless shooting/control. Why would I want to control a consumer camera from a phone or tablet when it has perfectly good physical dials and buttons and zoom on lens etc which are infinitely more convenient than a touch screen interface? Besides, I would need to bring a tripod, I cannot hold and aim camera in one hand and control it from a smartphone/tablet at the same time - and if I am lugging a tripod, what was the point in tiny camera anyway?

Well, I can imagine somebody taking the shots of predetermined points from several remote cameras set on tripods far enough not to be able to reach them but close enough so their weak WiFi radios would still work well enough to display live feed. I bet 99.99999% of consumers will never, EVER do this.

Seems to me WiFi is some crazy fad, a "must have" feature of the moment which almost nobody will actually use beyond initial trial period.

And believe me, I am a geek who always like new techno toys. This one seems totally pointless though.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow