DSLR user impressed with GF5/20mm 1.7 as second camera

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Photos thread
alcelc
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR user impressed with GF5/20mm 1.7 as second camera
In reply to trespassing, Jun 28, 2013

trespassing wrote:

I am a Nikon DSLR user normally but for a long time have toyed with the idea of owning a smaller camera but with greater IQ than my phone to take to places I wouldn't normally take my larger camera. I have always had a soft spot for Panasonic's GF series and the GF5 UK price drop was all it took and acquiring a 20mm 1.7 at a decent price. Here are a few from a recent trip with friends to Mallorca where the camera only ventured out on a day or two. Photography here was certainly not my first objective on this trip (neither second nor third or anywhere close) but solely because I knew I'd have an opportunity or two for a shot. in such a small package I have nothing but praise for this combo; I am very very happy with them as a secondary 'fun' camera

CC welcome but these were merely snapshots. All aperture priority I believe except for manual and manual focus I think on the sunrise shots as the 20mm was struggling in the dim light.

Through the aeroplane window

Sunrise (not deliberately up early for this for once, solely because I couldn't sleep)

Sunrise

An awkward composition I know, but it details the moment and that's what I wanted from the camera

I was impressed with the 20mm's close(ish) focus also

A hurried shot of almonds before the market seller noticed. A DSLR would have been too conspicuous

Another hurried market shot

I'd heard diffraction kicks in beyond f/4 on m4/3 but I personally found f/5.6 sharper overall and the added DoF on this shot helped also

Thanks for looking! Hoping to set foot in this forum a little more now, Matt

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Thanks for the excellent photo.

Regarding the remark in the last picture, I'm afraid that it may not be true. Generally MFT lenses should be quite good at their widest open, best stopped down 1 or 2. Diffraction would kick in from f/8 ~ f/11 onward. So, it is just the opposite to FF/APSC lenses that they are generally at their best around f/8 or f/11.

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow