Why are Fuji RAF files bigger than Oly ORF files?

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are Fuji RAF files bigger than Oly ORF files?
In reply to sibyy, Jun 27, 2013

sibyy wrote:

That's a very neat idea, i.e. to loss-less compress Fuji's files to save space.

Anyone familiar with a workflow that would allow me to do that to my files that have already been imported to Lightroom?

I.e. any software that will loss-less compress all files in a directory and would the re-written files just work in Lightroom?

I don't think Lightroom reads compressed files. Probably the most common compression tool is gzip (creates files with extension '.gz'). It would be easy for any software to automatically recognize such files and uncompress them on the fly, but I don't think many programs have that ability. A lot of scientific software does.

What I would suggest is to compress the raw files for archival purposes, not for when you are actively working on them. I do that all the time, unless you have scripts set up that do the constant compressing/uncompressing for you. Compression tools can work on all files in a directory, but how exactly and what tools to use will depend on your operating system.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow