What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?
In reply to tamasine, 10 months ago

I'm not sure what you're asking. An 85 f/1.8 or f/1.4 is a wonderful short telephoto. When you nail the focus under a basketball net, you really nail a shot. I use my Nikon 85 f/1.4 for anything I need a short fast tele for. Mostly my use is in my studio or on location for work, but even for pleasure use, it's great. What can you say about one of Nikon's very best two lenses?

One problem I have with these kinds of questions is that it seems backwards in how to go about things.  In other words, you choose the application then find the lens to fit it. What you're doing is considering the lens, then asking how to use it. That also strikes me like chasing your tail.

Also, you're using the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR as a portrait lens which seems to me to be a poor choice unless maybe you are inside with a studio backdrop. Then, I might shoot at 100mm and f/5.6 or f/8 regardless of what the lens might capable of. Out of a studio, I may want to isolate the subject which becomes a bit hard with a slow lens. Also, the OOF rendering of that lens is not the best. It's really not designed to make a good portrait lens. If you want a short telephoto zoom that can double as a portrait lens, I'd look at one of the 80-200 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses on the market.

If you decide to get the 85 f/1.8G, then of course that should instantly be your portrait lens. It can also serve as a general purpose fast short tele, as I mentioned. It's nice for sidelines indoor sporting events as well. I use it for most anything at all, when I wish. It's one of those lenses I'd probably never sell.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow