What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tamasine
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?
Jun 27, 2013

Hi folks – I’m hoping you can give me some advice please.

My current kit comprises:

D600

18-35G - I use this for landscapes, architecture

50 f1.8G - for general photography

70-300 VR - errr..portraits

I feel I'm missing a lens somewhere. I considered the 28 f1.8 and the Sigma 35 f1.4, but with the 18-35G I don't feel I would use those (28 + 35) focal lengths enough (I'm not really into street photography where I guess they come into play).

This brings me to the 85mm f1.8G. Most reviews state it is exceptionally sharp and good value for money. I like a light set up so it would go well with the 18-35G and 50mm as they are both pretty light lenses.

The only thing in the back of my mind is that it seems most people use it for portraits. I don’t really do portraiture that much and when I do, it is with the 70-300.

For those who own an 85mm, if you weren’t going to use it exclusively for portraits, is it still a lens you would choose to use/buy and what could you do with it? Have you taken any of your best pictures with this lens (please feel free to post your pics - it would help me enormously)?

Thanks!

T.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow