Panasonic PZ 14-42mm Are there really any good ones?

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen K Wells
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Panasonic PZ 14-42mm Are there really any good ones?
Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

I could not resist the offer of the GX1 with PZ 14-42mm compact zoom lens.

I wanted it for travelling and previously had a GF1.

I must have not been out of my cave for quite  while as the hullaballo about the quality of the lens completely passed by me.

My lens is the later HN2K serial version with firmware v1.2 unfortunately at the 42mm end between 1/50th to 1/250th second the pictures are blurred or very soft at best, this goes back to the 20mm mark.

Oh dear!

Having now read all the blurb are there really any decent copies of this lens to be had? or are the only people who have decent experience with the lens using different cameras.

I am returning the camera and lens and asking for a replacement but to check the lens first or a refund.

I really wanted to like this setup there is so much to like but avoiding those settings proved a bit too much of a pain in the posterior.

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Glen W

The two crop images are at 42mm (84 equiv) 1/160th and 1/320th the blurry one is the 160th.

Glen K Wells's gear list:Glen K Wells's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D610 +1 more
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow