ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
barderc
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon EOS 6D or Nikon D600 - which is best in (my) real world
10 months ago

Hi all.

I've used 35mm film SLRs and then APS-C DSLRs for many years.  Having had several lenses I now use just one: a Canon EF-S 17-85mm =  full frame 27-136mm.

Portraits, street photography, landscapes and some sports are my regular subjects.

Shallow depth of field/blurred backgrounds are an essential capability.

A good wide angle and reasonable zoom range is important but not at the complete expense of a low f-stop - I am a firm believer of “if your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough”.

I prefer natural light/higher ISOs/wider apertures to flash in most cases.

I use Photoshop from time to time and sometimes shoot in RAW.  However, time is always the enemy and therefore good JPEG performance is important.

I hardly ever shoot videos.

My planned choices are either a Canon EOS 6D + EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM lens, or a Nikon D600 + AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR lens.

Having been a Canon user my whole life I am really tempted to switch to Nikon: similar cost to EOS 6D at current street prices, better spec, more innovation etc. versus EOS 6D that seems like Canon slightly resting on its laurels and making deliberate cutbacks relative to EOS 5D MKIII.  And I don't need to worry about owning lots of canon lenses - I don't.  However, the EF 24-105mm gets good reviews (seem a bit better than the NIKKOR 24-85mm) and provides a useful additional zoom range beyond the 85mm Nikkor.

At really high ISOs I understand that the EOS6D performs better and maybe has better standard jpeg output.  However, I rarely shoot beyond ISO 3200.

Based on the above which camera + lens should I chose?  I would really appreciate your informed, objective, answers (and leaving aside the Nikon oil/dust story).

Many thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow