I never sell camera equipment because...

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,340Gear list
Like?
The problem with electronics is also the cr@ppy manufacturing quality.
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jun 27, 2013

I built a stereo amplifier 25 years ago (and some older ones too) and they still work as well as on day one. So does most of the other electronics stuff that I built.

When you buy something however you're lucky if it works for just a few years before breaking down. I have had so many computers or computer parts or laptops break, displays as well, ... things just are not made to last any more.

Yes, camera bodies are worthless because technology has improved. But lenses do not last decades. They are now manufactured with parts that are designed to break, for instance very thin ribbon cables in zoom lenses that break so easily and often that there is enough of a market for new ones that companies are making just these parts and selling on Ebay.

When I happen to have something old that is still fine I tend to give it away to someone who will actually use it, just like some other poster said. I have not yet thrown away any still functional camera. I always found someone I could donate it to (and some I actually sold).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow