Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Donnell
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
To whom would you recommend a DSLR
Jun 27, 2013

Those recommending to one asking what camera should I buy should think twice. The purpose of its use should be carefully considered. Most have no need for a DSLR. A good bridge camera, or simple point and shoot may fit their needs just fine. I travel a lot to Alaska, the Amazon Jungle and Asia. I want pictures to share with my friends and memories of my adventures. My long zoom bridge camera is ideal for my use. A DSLR with all the extra lenses I would require is too much to lug around. Granted, the DSLR takes better pictures but the difference isn’t enough to cause me any concern and, the same goes for most people unless they are a serious armature or pro and these people are in the small minority. Most photos are taken with cell phones and I don’t hear many complaining.

It’s been a long time since someone pulled out a bunch of prints to show me. Photos now are shared over the internet, viewed on computers, tablets and cell phones with little pixel peeping. A good photo from a non-DSLR is satisfactory and most people wouldn’t know the difference.

I would love to have a good DSLR, peep at all the pixels, play with all the lenses and do some serious art photography, but even though I can afford the best, the cost and little time I have to get into this doesn’t suit my needs and the majority of others. A good non DSLR does not take bad pictures.

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow