Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,338
Like?
Re: Just ordered Epson Canvas Satin and Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 27, 2013

You are really changing topics here and I think you would have more probability of a few replies if you were to start a new thread on your new topic.

Neither of these two are popular media. The satin canvas has a particularly delicate surface, and should definitely be coated. The only two canvases that I use that can stand up to stretching without coating are Breathing Color Crystalline and Innova Ultra Gloss.

I use the printer’s cutter almost always, why wouldn’t you? I do vacuum the printers often.

Unlike the newer Hot Press and Cold Press Epson fine art papers, Epson Ultra Smooth is not as highly regarded. But papers are a very personal thing, which is why I stock many. I prefer Canson Rag Photographique 310 over the much more popular Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308; it doesn’t have the recurl problems and takes landscape greens far better.

By and large, you will have to stock papers that appeal to your clients, not you. But you will need a smooth matte, light textured matte (velvet), medium textured matte (German Etching, for example), coarse textured matte (Arches Aquarelle, for example), Barytas, and a couple of RC papers.

When you get half way through a box or roll, it is time to think about adding a new paper, If you wait till the roll is almost though, you will end up reordering one of the same.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow