What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Polls thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626Gear list
Like?
Re: What prevents you from moving to a mirrorless camera?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 26, 2013

Actually, there is a line of full-frame mirrorless system cameras, though high cost is a barrier: Leica M-series.

The SLR is still best for wildlife/birds and action/sports, with long lenses. I also need powerful, portable, shoe-mount flash, along with the best possible low-light focusing ability, for my job. (See my signature lines.)

For personal photography, at normal distances, with lenses in the 14mm to 60mm range, I may buy into the Fuji X-Pro-series, eventually.

My ( our) new Nikon Coolpix A has no mirror, but its lens is of fixed focal length. It has a good level of functionality with the same Nikon powerful Speedlights that fit our SLRs, and an excellent APS-C sensor. Of course, most "mirrorless" fans probably consider interchangeable lenses as being important, but 18.5mm ( 28mm-equivalent ) is actually a quite useful focal length.

It was, however, another quite excellent, yet affordable product that really caused me to delay buying into the Fuji X system. The Canon EF 40mm 2.8 STM "pancake" lens, on a 5D DSLR,  results in a quite handy, compact package, that lessened my perceived need for a Fuji X-Pro. Fuji's announcement of a 27mm pancake lens has only now leveled that particular playing field; 40mm on FF, and 27mm on 1.5x crop, are very close to the "normal" 43mm field of view. I await reviews of this new Fuji X lens!

Another camera I really like is the Sony RX1. I am not yet sure it would be financially realistic, but I like the concept. Of course, with its fixed lens, the "mirrorless" crowd may not see the RX1 as fitting the category.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AmenNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow