Started Jun 26, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yellodog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
Like?
First few days with the MX-1
Jun 26, 2013

I first handled an MX-1 a month or so ago at an expo and immediately took a liking to it.

It's a pocket battleship of a compact camera, in fact, compact would be a bit of a missnomer if it weren't for the lens being a lot smaller than anything comparable on a DSLR. But, being a guy with large hands, it fits me like a glove, unlike some others that feel very fiddely.

The menus are logical once you get used to them and the controls and flip out LCD all feel distinct and robust, although the surface of the LCD is a bit of a fingerprint magnet and feels rather cheap and scratchable.

The lens is sharp wide open and the sensor keeps the noise at a very reasonable level for such a camera. In other words IQ is excellent.

I always shoot RAW so I was a bit nervous about reports of the long write times för RAW files, but I put in a 95 Mb/s card and it "only" takes about 1 - 2 seconds to write too the card, which I find acceptable in most cases.

Focusing is very fast and with spot metering, normaly very accurate, although sometimes the camera chooses a focus point out side of the metered area.

Resolution is nice for portraits:

and for macros:

but I found the bokeh rather ugly:

yellodog's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow