Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teaberry
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 owner need suggestion for 2nd body with fast AF for action shots
Jun 26, 2013

I've been a long-time NEX owner from NEX-5, to 5n, to 6 and 7 (sold 6). I'm mostly happy with my NEX-7 since I mostly shoot landscapes, but there are occasions when I like to go to motorsport events and while doable, it is much tougher with NEX-7 and e-mount lenses to get super fast AF on fast-moving objects. I took a NEX-6 and NEX-7 to Austin F1 last year and for me, the NEX-7 larger pixel count and ability to crop generously won over the slightly improved AF on NEX-6 (3 days of shooting with both bodies, same lenses w/ upgraded firmware for NEX-6, over 4000 pics). The NEX cameras were good enough for Ferrari and Porsches, but when it comes to F1 cars, the slow AF becomes a big issue. Some samples can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151116324101606.438969.553716605&type=1&l=f7c07bd700

Anyhow, I am told the next NEX-7 predecessor could be a while so I wanted to see if other NEX owners have a suggestion for another body (used or new) between $600-900. I'm also spoiled by the size/weight of NEX-7 so I'd like it to be as small and light as possible while good enough for F1 cars. I realize a decent lens need to go along with this new body and hoping to keep the lens price about the same as body. I was reading about the Canon SL1, and while it seems to have decent AF in low-light, it seems to lack AF for sports/action. Appreciate your constructive input!

teaberry's gear list:teaberry's gear list
A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow