Einstein E640W Strobe

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,184Gear list
Like?
Re: A.B. light durability
In reply to Nikonfan99, Jun 26, 2013

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I have two alien bee B1600's and they have a lot of juice and work great. Even had one take a bad drop. The flash-tube cracked (easily replaced) but everything worked fine. They are made out of a durable plastic. Customer service is great and they are compact. I also own two flashpoint (adorama house brand) units. They are not as well built as the alien bees. I Love them.

This reminds me of an accident I had with one of my lights on a model shoot out on a dry lake bed. I had my AB800 with the 22" beauty dish high on a light stand, and had been shooting for about an hour with no problems. All of a sudden we got a big gust of wind that blew the whole thing over backwards. The weight of the beauty dish pushed the AB800 into the dirt. The power cord socket was broken and pushed into the AB800. The metal beauty dish had big dents in it.

I sent the AB800 back for repair, and it cost me something like $30.

I never want to hear anyone tell me about the plastic cases on these lights being a problem as there wasn't even a crack in the case.

My beauty dish still has a few dents, but I banged most of the dents out and it still works as good as new.

By the way, my sand bags were still safely stored in my car because when we got to the site there wasn't a hint of wind. Word of warning! Use your sand bags.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow